Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Incantation, by Alice Hoffman

This is another quick read. And really, a fascinating little story. I actually read it through, cover to cover twice yesterday (yes, it's that quick a read, for me at least) because I wanted to catch the extra nuances I just knew I'd missed the first time.

I can't say as I can remember reading a story about what happened to Jews during the Spanish Inquisition. Ironically, I'm trying to read The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak) right now, as well. Interesting how I paired those up..and in my mind I'm making the connections. I'm probably going to come back to this post and add some more, I want to dig in the book a bit more too.

From the publisher's blurb...

Estrella is a Marrano: During the time of the Spanish Inquisition, she is one of a community of Spanish Jews living double lives as Catholics. And she is living in a house of secrets, raised by a family who practices underground the ancient and mysterious way of wisdom known as kabbalah. When Estrella discovers her family's true identity - and her family's secrets are made public - she confronts a world she's never imagined, where new love burns and where friendship ends in flame and ash, where trust is all but vanquished and betrayal has tragic and bitter consequences.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed by Jennifer Turney under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips