Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Devilish, by Maureen Johnson

You know, the publisher's blurb likens this to Faust--in a 21st century YA kinda way. I didn't read that until just now, when I pulled it up at Barnes & Noble, but I've got to agree. As I read it I was thinking about that. Of course, I just reread Faust back during the summer.

This is a really a fun story. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would. I identified with Jane--not because I pushed the envelope at school growing up, but (as Mom will attest) I pushed it at home. Jane's just a rebel who isn't prepared to be completely rebellious (hm..I'm like that, I think.)

From the publisher's blurb...

The only thing that makes St. Teresa's Preparatory School for Girls bearable for Jane is her best friend Ally. But when Ally changes into a whole different person literally overnight the fall of their senior year, Jane's suddenly alone--and very confused.

Turns out, Ally has sold her soul in exchange for popularity--to a devil masquerading as a sophomore at St. Teresa's! Now it's up to Jane to put it all on the line to save her friend from this ponytail-wearing, cupcakenibbling demon . . . without losing her own soul in the process.

This YA take on Faust in a Catholic girls' high school is clever, fun, and full of tasty surprises.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed by Jennifer Turney under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips